Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Then Don't Ask!

I learned a lesson many years ago. As an instructor, if you really don't want to hear what is on the mind of students, don't ask! Once you ask, you invite commentary...and damn if that isn't exactly what they got today. The anger in this class is so palpable related to public health, with a strict division between those that performed well, and the many more that didn't on the last exam. And the latter let it rip today!

It is remarkable how everyone in the world knows what's on the boards, and uses that as justification for everything. The bottom line is that nobody has a clue what will be on their boards. I believe that I can rest comfortably knowing that I won't have to pick out the Pearson Correlation Coefficient formula from a list of formulas.

And using a book designed for public health resident MD's to study for their specialty boards for a first term public health course is total INSANITY. So don't justify the course by the book, or the bad questions used from the question bank that came with the book. What a crock!

P.S. I didn't open my mouth today. Everyone else did it for me.  I'm not justified by their comments. I am very sad that this is one of the worst classes I have ever taken post post high school...I actually like public health, and population healthcare. Worse, I am dismayed that many of my colleagues will view public health thru the discolored, distorted lens of this class.  It soon will be over, and not a moment too soon.