Thursday, July 3, 2008

It's Official

We are officially in "Caribbean Island Hurricane Watch Season" with the development of the first tropical storm. I actually could see this thing form before I heard it on the news, Weather Channel or online with a piece of software I learned about when I was a Marine Patrol officer.  It's really helpful to scan for pressure, rain and wind changes at the surface of the water. Sailors use it regularly to see conditions and look for "good wind."

image

These systems form near the Cape Verde islands off the African coast as hot, circulating dust storm (more simplistic than reality, but you get the idea).  At the end of the blue arrow is us. The big blue blob to the right with the circles...is the storm (blue = rain; red flags = higher than normal winds, circular lines = lower pressure..the hallmark of these storms). This one is tentatively forecasted to go north of us, but we are hopeful for some cistern filling rain out of it. And in the future, this where we'll be looking for such events.  As I've said before about hurricanes, I'm just sensitive. Better go stock up on canned goods and water, just in case.