Sunday, July 6, 2008

Islam and Acupuncture

It was a really great weekend here at school with two wonderful events. Saturday night was the Muslim Student Association annual introduction to the Islam religion and potluck dinner. The room was packed and I learned a lot about the Islam religion from speakers and presentations made. One of the great values of being in a truly international setting is the exchanges that happen with information, and this was a perfect example of that.  I didn't realize certain things about the origins of Islam, the tenets of the Muslim practice, the writings, Mohammed and many other aspects of imagewhat it is to be Muslim. It was very interesting to hear of the origins of Islam on Statia as well. I think we all walked away with a greater than CNN understanding.  Every time I realize what I don't know, I gain value as a person and future physician. This, to me, is truly what the continuing quest for cultural competency (which never really comes) is all about. I'm more convinced that it is more about cultural appropriateness. It's even more insightful that Jews, Christians and Muslims may be pray to the same "one" God. I didn't know that the Qur'an describes Jesus, Moses and Noah as Muslims..."submitters to God." There is even a book of Mary! There is probably more things alike than different.  There are nearly 1.5 billion Muslims in the world today. Someone said, we are really all blood related from back when....heck, we were all Jewish back when. The buffet pot-luck was amazing...I've not been that full in some time.

The other event was the "Integrative and Complimentary Medicine" Workshop today. For all of the morning and part of the afternoon, we learned about the integration of traditionally non-allopathic therapies with allopathic practice.  I've been interested in these concept for many years, but it was nice to hear some new therapies and different approaches. I've been of imagethe opinion for some time, that if it doesn't hurt, or make you worse, then "why not." Patients are using alternative therapies anyway...we need to gain trust and find out what they are so we can help patients make educated decisions about what they spend their money on. There are herbals out there that interfere with mainstream medications too. I think the key is knowledge and information so you and your patients can make the best choice, without making the situation worse. This workshop helped to do that.

Great weekend! Going running to the beach now. Hope it's not raining.