Thursday, July 24, 2008

Purposeful Hurdles

After the tragedy that was the last block of medical stats, I searched for the "greater picture" so as not to get swallowed up by the "Dune"like sandstorm that it felt like.  I drifted into the thought of purpose and the hurdles that are important and those that are not so important. Important 1) the practice of ethical, safe, economical medicine, and 2) Pass USMLE Step 1, 2 (after clinicals) and 3 (after residency).

It's no secret that this exercise in study and intellectual basting has a purpose...USMLE Step 1. Sometime in about 20 months, it'll be our turn. The last term folks here are studying diligently for their go sometime this fall and I've learned some things over the past few days.

Passing score is a tightly held secret by the National Board of Medical Examiners but hovers around 185 each year.   The average score, estimated from the published distribution is about 214.  While not the only factor used in evaluation and purely speculation on my part, top internal medicine programs are looking for step 1 scores of 230 or better.  That would be a great goal.  215-230 would be a fine finish given the advanced plaque formation in my Circle of Willis.

image

The consensus seems to be, start studying now. I thought that was what I was doing. But, it's going to be more...questions everyday. I've got many resources and many have been recommended. The key is to do a little everyday and then after 20 months, I'll be ready for this first career hurdle. I appreciate the insight of the "last termers" here and their perspective on what it will take over the next two years. In all, I've got to keep the greater picture in mind else I will truly go mad. Or perhaps I'm already mad, and that is the reason I'm here?