Thursday, July 31, 2008

Hang Loose

There are qualities about island cultures that would best learned by medical students. We are thrust into a process of mind altering dimensions and told to relax. We are threatened with tests and future boards and told to chill out. We are constantly drilled on the need to learn every little detail or we may "kill the patient" but told that medical school is just medical school. The mixed messages aside, the environment can be stressful and some perspective is almost mandatory.

Such was a note I got today from a friend, physician, former physician assistant, and all around great guy. He said..."Guess what? It doesn't get a whole lot easier but don't get discouraged. Don't sweat the small stuff. It's all going to be worth it in the end. Keep pluggin' and remember why you are there.  Be cool."

When embroiled in the "stew", under the fire of learning the details, it is sometimes hard to see the "why" I am here. I know it's all worth it in the end. I've seen the end. I won't get discouraged. It'll only get more interesting and clinical. But, I really need a break.

image