Thursday, July 3, 2008

Impromptu Reading

Suares Outside Patio I was leaving study hall last night and ran into one of the locals who live in the area. She's a really nice lady who I see all the time, but never have spoken to. She was in my path toward home so it was moderately unavoidable without great effort to round her with obvious change in my tack and course.

I said "good evening" and shrugged a half wave as is almost habit now as this is a smile and wave culture. Everyone honks, smiles and/or waves here when they pass. Not doing so is considered rude and almost viewed as an act of aggression. She acknowledged and asked me something about if I was studying. I realize this was a way to start a conversation as I can't imagine anyone, leaving a medical school study area at 10:30 PM is doing much of anything except study.

The talk was superficial and vague as we gradually got to a path leading to spirituality and, strangely, astrology. As an Adventist (a large population here) and astrologer, she fancied herself as having all her spiritual bases covered. She asked about my sign, never asking about my religion. Thank goodness for that because right now, my religion is school and my bible is Netter's Anatomy. She would have been appalled at who my God is Goats of Statia(Professor K) and where my worship is held (the anatomy lab).  "Capricorn", I exclaimed, as if almost proud of the fact that my sign, the goat, wanders freely on the island. And even though I show no resemblance or  propensity for their deeds I find some satisfaction in knowing that George Burns, James Belushi, Paul Newman, and Alan Alda are all Capricorns.

She noted that Capricorn reflects earthy qualities and that we were mostly cautious, confident, strong willed, reasonable and hard working.  She noted that I often Church stained glass depicting Capricornwas aloof, shrewd, practical, and generally responsible.  She talked about the endurance, whatever it takes attitude, of the goat and the reliability and diligence work although we tend to lack originality and often follow traditional plans even if it doesn't satisfy our inner needs. I've still not said a word at this point.

She then asked for my hand and as she held it in a long hand-shake said that the previous life I had was over and I needed to grasp that. The jobs I've had before were not for me and that I was never really grounded as whatever it was I did before this time. She admonished to continue to tread this path as further grounding would occur and that my satisfactions would in fact come true with discipline, persistence and effort over the long haul. I heard her Adventist kick in when she concluded that living life with compassion, letting go, love for all creatures, especially myself, would be my salvation.

Anatomy didn't seem so important as I walked home. I did realize I have one more midterm...today and then we are officially half done with this term. Only 50 day or so left.