Sunday, May 25, 2008

Why Medical School

"The main thing to get out of medical school is a feeling of satisfaction with medicine. If so, the patterns developed will continue through life. It matters little the number of facts you accumulate in school." (Steadism #137, pg 51)

image

I'm fortunate to have developed patterns of care that are patient driven and had me enjoying the practice of medicine at the bedside...before medical school. I know in my heart that this collection of facts, figures, formulas and such is merely a fraternal pledging exercise to gain entry into "the club" that is medicine. I'm ok with that. I am beginning to better understand this political reality and recognize the power in that gateway. Yet it is likely that same gateway that is ultimately responsible for the shortage of physicians now, and (even worse) later. I'm killing two birds with one stone...getting my doctorate (moving forward from my PA education) and being part of the physician shortage solution.

"You build stronger medical centers not by getting better teachers, but by getting better students." (Steadism #135, pg 50)