Saturday, May 31, 2008

Simple Pleasures

It is impossible to share the joy of finding something that makes you feel "at home." It happened the other day in the grocery store. All products are not available on Statia, all the time. Some show up irregularly, or are bought out by locals or shoppers from St. Kitts (more on that later). As I walk the aisles of our local stores, I scan for familiar items to "grab" while they are here. It happened...Lime Diet Coke. I bought the last 6 pack. I imagehaven't seen it since I've been here, and it was a welcome site in a world of mostly sugar infested drink products largely responsible for the high rate of diabetes and obesity in the islands (along with the very high carbohydrate ingestion rate). I've been on mostly water, coffee, tea and fruit juices to drink, so this was a welcome sight. Sometimes the simple pleasures are the best ones. Hard to believe that a Diet Lime Coke could inspire such feelings.