Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Faculty

Having taught before, I am totally amazed and impressed with the faculty here. If I've heard it once I've heard it a thousand times..."if you need anything, let me (us) know." The demonstrated commitment to student is quite evident in their excitement for teaching, providing tutoring and help, facillitating access to the classroom and labs after hours and the general, "I'd love to help you...what else is there to do on Statia?"...very, very refreshing and totally unexpected. I've never been at a school where upper class student, come back to the classroom to say hello, and good morning to former professors. That says volumes to me about the relationships that are formed and the support that is provided. So far that has translated into the feeling that we are really getting what we need, and that we are being "looked after" to some extent, even if in the end we are on our own to get the work done. Kudos to the faculty! Thanks for what you do.