Thursday, May 22, 2008

I am a Steadism

Dr. Stead I am a scholar and great fan of Dr. Eugene Stead, founder of the physician assistant profession at Duke University, consummate mentor and teacher. Dr. Stead was known for his "Steadisms"...comments about life, medicine, medical school and education in general. He produced a manual collection of these comments, "Just Say for Me", that has become for many, like me, a marvel of observation...particularly about medical education.

He once called me on the phone, when I was involved in PA education, about my ideas about distance education. He had read an article I wrote about distance education pedagogy. He thought medical school could be done at home in the first two years, and then "apprenticed" with a seasoned provider for the last two years. He even talked about 5 years of total education for medical school and residency as "sufficient" for general practice.

While I can't comment about these theories (I am too close to it), I am beginning to fully appreciate his thoughts on the subject now that I am being "tortured" by the system known as medical education.

His basic premise was (he recently died) that medical school is a waste of time, effort and resources and needs radical overhaulment (I made that word up, but I seem to be doing a lot of that lately) to address the needs of society, the individual provider being created and healthcare of the future. He often spoke about the environment of "persecution" and "torture" that existed in medical schools.

image

"I'd like to see all medical school examinations open book. Books are useful."
(Steadism, #168, pg. 56)

I now fully understand and commend Dr. Stead for his thought on the subject. But I may not be completely objective as I attempt to memorize the origin, insertion, nerve supply, action and blood supply for all the muscles of the back, neck, and upper extremity...including the brachial plexus. And while we are on that subject, does Randy Travis like his coffee black? (a mnemonic for memorizing the segments of the plexus)

Does a person's memory make him/her a good physician? Will the exercise of fully detailing every anatomical feature in my brain provide me with the skills I need to perform as a healer? All I know is that it will hopefully get me to and thru USMLE Step 1.

"It is a neurotic goal to try to learn everything. One must pick and choose." (#177, pg. 57) Beastboy

I hope I pick the right ones for this first battery of tests coming. My brain hurts. But I don't want to sound too down about this. I'm not...I love this stuff!! Thanks Dr. Stead. I hope they do make my anatomy exam next week open book, but I'm not hopeful.