Monday, May 5, 2008

The Adventure Begins

imageTraveling to school isn't too bad, particularly when you have a 110 mile per hour tail wind, clear skies, good company, and views of the Caribbean out the window. Spirit Air only has one flight per week to St. Maarten, and I was on it.

The first thing I realized was how many medical students were in FLL airport. I later found out why...both AUC and Saba medical schools start class on Monday, a week before St. Eustatius (SE-SOM)

As fate would have it, the guy sitting next to me was imageover three hundred pounds. As he sat down he oozed over into my seat and imposed himself on what little seat I had acquired for my fare. I immediately started scanning the cabin for alternatives...and found one. As the doors to the plane closed, I made a dash for an empty aisle seat in a set of three.

I didn't realize it as I scooted into the seat quickly, but there was a cute girl sitting at the window. She was sleeping already and we hadn't left yet. I followed suit and fell asleep before we left FLL.

I awoke to the flight attendant asking me about my order and handing me a immigration form for St. Maarten (SXM). I had forgotten I was traveling imageinternational, and I was hungry. I ordered the $3 breakfast of champions, and filled out my form. Just then, the girl at the window awoke.

We cordially started talking and I found out pretty quickly she as a medical student at AUC in St. Maarten. Needless to say my excitement took over and we talked the entire trip about her 1st term experience that started in January. She was articulate, intelligent, 20 something and I learned more from her than I had in the past month. She was gorgeous too...Filipino decent (I love that). She even "beamed" me a software program that produces anatomy flashcards so you can study with your Palm Pilot. My TREO will come in handy. Before I left the SXM airport I had the program, her email and some great information about being a Caribbean med imagestudent. Thanks JC! You are the best! Good luck term 2.

The landing at SXM was one I was looking forward to for a few months. While researching the area I stumbled upon a YouTube video of the landing of a 747 over the beach at SXM. It was even more amazing from the air, but the ground experience appears to be body shaking as planes land just feet above the heads of beach goers. It was pretty cool.

The rest of the day was traditional travel....processing imageat SXM, baggage claim, recheck at WinAir (the only carrier to Statia), and the wait, and wait...6 hours. Fortunately the airport at St. Maarten is brand new and gorgeous and is filled with shopping, eating, rum and free Wireless Internet. And abuse them all I did. The free French imagechocolate was the best. The views from the massive picture windows was pure Caribbean. Great place to people watch too. I realized I hadn't eaten since the power meal so I challenged my gut with a starchy looking dish called "fig". It was delicious. I'm going to enjoy the islands.

imageimageimage

It was dark by the time we boarded for Statia. The flight was quick, only 20 minutes. I was "home" for the next few months, and I felt I had been transported in time. Stepping on to the tarmac, the cool breeze from imagethe Atlantic side hit me...it felt great. I had a momentary Maui flashback and felt my body sigh. I think I have an island spirit of sort. A short walk to the Franklin Delano Roosevelt terminal, and quick processing by the INS agent obviously waiting for us, the last flight. "How long are you here for?", he asked. I paused as I said "4 months". His demeanor changed and imagehe looked up for the first time. Apparently only criminals stay that long...oh, and medical students. "Here for medical school,"...he smiled...and stamped my passport as he checked his list of incoming students. I was in country now. I walked 5 step to the baggage ramp, a term I use loosely, and waited for my bag. As I expected (and had been warned) only 1 of my 3 checked bags made it. I filled out the form, and the agent assured me it would be imagethere the next day. This will be my quest for the morning.

The sign over the exit welcomed me personally (LOL). My landlord was waiting outside of the terminal and he carted me in his mini pick up to my new apt. We stopped by the grocery store as well to get some starter stuff for the fridge. I settled into the place a bit (meaning my IPOD now has home), checked email, called home and fell asleep quickly. Long first day commute for this grad student.

image