Monday, May 26, 2008

Can't Get Enough

I love this stuff!! I can't seem to get enough of medical science facts and figures right now, but it's early. And I may have to exclude "public health" from my list of loves right now. This is truly what advanced, doctoral level, graduate education is supposed to be.

Even though I'm babbling, pure exhaustion hasn't really taken hold yet, but test week is coming and I know that I will be studying hard to "make the grade". I'd hate for the 20-somethings to blow me out of the testing waters. I'm feeling a subtle balance of abject cockiness and pure panic about the volume that we are going to have to PICT0073regurgitate (what cranial nerve assists with that function?) next week. I do feel that I'll be ready, but I am amazed at how much I don't know, or have forgotten. It's great to have those "eureka" experiences again and realize the connection with actual patient care. I suppose that I am lucky in that over my liberal arts and sciences brother and sister classmates.

Yet even as I still try to find my niche in the pecking order of students, I still hear the "epiphanies" of others, see the smiles on the faces, and remember how wonderful that feeling is and how much I enjoyed seeing that in my students when I taught. For the moment, I am enjoying that perspective from the back of the classroom instead of the front. Tonight is a practice session with physical examination...I can't wait. This is the class I last taught. I wonder if I really know it?