Saturday, May 24, 2008

Hungry

I am not hungry. Well I am hungry for this knowledge, but I'm not gastrointestinally hungry. I am eating quite well. This is an island and everything is more expensive. I can't find fresh fruits and vegetables easily, and cooking can be a hassle with the conditions of school, and my apartment, but I am not hungry. I am eating well and find plenty of what I need. I'm taking care of myself and trying to stay in shape (or get in shape, depending on your perspective) and not getting sick. I am NOT hungry...but maybe I should be?

In 2006 or so I read an article about being hungry and learning.  Researchers at Yale Medical School found that hungry subjects  took in information more quickly, and retained it better. I am not sure if the subjects were medical students, adults or mice, but the conclusions were intriguing.

This "empty-stomach intelligence" promoted better performance in learning. There is apparently a hormone activity related to hunger that assists us to "think about" how and where to find food, and preps the brain to think harder about that. We can probably use that to our cognitive advantage in medical school by going mildly hungry right before an exam, not CHO (carbohydrate)-loading, and snacking to provide baseline energy for living.

imageIs it possible that the obesity epidemic has contributed to declining test scores and other American educational woes? Might this knowledge help me on my next exam (covering 10 chapters of Anatomy)? I am not hungry, but perhaps I should be. I may test the theory next week...first exams are coming. Hungry may be better.