Friday, August 29, 2008

Working It

"The best preparation for work is not thinking about work, talking about work, or studying for work: It is work." - William Weld, Politician and attorney

Vacations are wonderful time for reflection and recharging from the work that is medical school. Being "home" with family and friends has been wonderful in the scheme of things. But, I am ready to return to work on the next phase of my education and humble myself further into the process of open-mind, open-heart learning. 

Sometimes life is harder than school. I've found that out this trip. Sometimes our intentions, our feelings are swallowed up in the assumptions of others. While not escapable in school, it is avoidable as the work shows in performance. I'm working it...life and school. I can only hope that those around me see the effort, appreciate the "trying" over the successes or failures, and recognize the importance of avoiding assuming anything.  It's a righteous purpose even with the challenges.

As God closes one door, another one opens. I'm getting to exactly where I'm supposed to be....just working it and allowing the seeds to germinate and grow. It's never too late. Moses was 80 when God called him. I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better off than where I was.

 

image I'm off to a weekend escape with my daughter. I am rejuvenated by her spirit, her youth, her excitement with life anew in high school. She is a wonderful person...embodiment of the optimism and love I can only hope for. I will miss her greatly when I leave again but hold her spirit tightly in my heart as I strive to be the father, dad and man she can be proud of.

 

image

We are watching Gustav...not for Florida or school, but for the people of Jamaica, Caymans, Cuba and the Gulf Coastal states of the U.S. We will hope and pray for little destruction and disruption of life. TS Hanna is not far behind and has just passed the Leeward Islands. Island living has given me a renewed interest in the health, and safety of others in the path of these potential beasts.

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." - Dalai Lama