Monday, August 11, 2008

Tis' the Season

It is the season. It is something we live with everyday in the tropics. I've lived in the path of tropical waves for many years, but the thought of one coming still gets my attention. I guess that is what is supposed to happen though. Tropical wave 92L has formed in the mid-Atlantic. Early indications are for a weak-to-moderate tropical storm to reach our area by Wednesday or Thursday. However, it remains possible that 92L will strengthen to become a weak hurricane in the days preceding its anticipated arrival. Students and other members of the University community have been put on alert to watch the storm and be alert for 92L. That figures because is the start of finals :(

It is here...finals will begin in 3 days. This is going to sound bit schizophrenic, but it has been a long, long term that has gone by very fast. I realize that length and depth of a thinking season has nothing to do with the perception of the passage of time. So maybe not so schizophrenic after all ? I can't believe what we have image accomplished, and glad it is coming to and end. Terms actually fit my personality and my attention span. Or maybe it is the habit I formed as an instructor. I enjoyed the flush from term to term, and from class to class. In any event, it's almost four months...the end of the my attention span. Time for a "flushing" of the old and on with the new. It is a renewal each and every term start. That process begins on Thursday with the first final and ends next week with the end of Public Hell. I then mount a plane and head west to civilization, my family, friends, Dairy Queen and sundry drive thru diversions.

It has been a successful semester in many ways. It has begun a new chapter in my life and that of my classmates. It has been filled with emotion, spiritual,  intellectual and psychological triumphs and cognition. It wasn't just school for me and likely will permanently change my view of myself, and the world at large....all imagein a good way. So as we move closer to the flush, I am reminded that beyond the deeper meaning, later this week, the world will come down to one, specific event..."what is this pin stuck in, and what is it's origin,insertion, nerve inebriation (or is it innervation?) and action?" Is it possible to have a global, mind-altering experience in a collection of such a minute tasks or sets of tasks? I think it is.

"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." - Homer Simpson

image