Thursday, August 21, 2008

It is Done

I've often had the same feeling walking out of a difficult surgical case...from intensity and brain drain to nothingness. That was the feeling walking out of my last exam this morning.  I wasn't sure what to do, where to go. So I went out to Zeelandia Beach (north shore) to watch the waves and wait for everyone to finish the test (we headed to the beach afterward). Zeelandia was a good place to commune with the Public Health Gods and offer my sacrifice of part of a diet Coke, a piece of a granola bar and a few shells. Yes, I literally cast them into the sea. An amazing feeling knowing that while the exam average was in the low 60's, my 80 something insured that I would never have to see this class again. I would just assume donate a body part. I think I did.

As I heaved the offering toward the waves (just the coke, not the can...this beach is where turtles lay their eggs), I yelled something unintelligible (was I speaking in tongues?) and scared the heck out of a cow calf nestled in nearby thicket of sea grapes. Only on Statia...sharing the beach with cows. The act was total release of the pent up frustration of a course that should have never been.

What a total waste of effort dedicated to satisfying the arrogant, misguided plan of the instructors. As a former professor, and academic director, I'm all for academic freedom, but this was academic freedom run amuck in total opposition to the school curriculum plan, expectations of the students and sound teaching theory. I doubt anything will change unless the instructors decide to leave, like at least two others in the school, for more money elsewhere. But it doesn't matter to me...never again. I just feel oh so sorry for the studs that have it next term. WARNING, WARNING Will Robinson...GO BACK (Lost in Space, circa a bunch of years ago). Forgive them, for they know not what they are doing. It is done [music fades to silence].

It is @#$%& done.