Thursday, August 14, 2008

Amazing Feeling and then NOT

Make no mistake...there so much material and so many ways to have bombed this exam. We were essentially responsible for every detail of the human body anatomy from day one of class. It could have been ugly. But is was ok and I, by any definition, succeeded.image Succeeding at any assessment in medical school is a combination of preparation, memory, interest, motivation, relevance...and a bit of luck. The factors, stars and various low pressure systems in the area were aligned this morning and I nailed the anatomy lab exam. This is a great beginning to finals week and puts much less pressure on me for the lecture exam next week. I've got some time now to work on other courses, and hopefully maximize my overall learning. It is an amazing feeling walking away from a comprehensive exam actually knowing the material. I went to his office today and thanked the professor for a great educational experience. I worked very hard, but REALLY enjoyed this class.

One of those "low" storm's southern edge is hitting us right now with intermittent winds and rains. It's pouring now. This is likely a foreshadow of "nasty" things to come and the horrific experience that will be the public hell exam next week. No interest, no motivation, no relevance to anything that I'm here for and a slew of bad luck on prior exams follows me into this event. No wonder I'd like for it to just go away.  Hardly bodes well for success. But I will make progress the next few days that I tackle the path to finding success in this course, in spite of the professors. They have done what they can, given their complete lack of knowledge of what we imageneed, lack of clinical experience and total disdain for the class as a whole. Throw in some of the most problematic teaching, communication and delivery techniques I've ever witnessed and you have a course of instruction that failed miserably for no reason. It needs oversight, direction, and complete gutting to rescue it from a likely repeat next term with two more classes of students who will unwittingly enter with great hopes and expectations. I wish them well and hope that some semblance of interest in public health remains for those who survive this total abortion. I was actually very interested in public health, taught several sections on the topic as a professor, and had hoped to make it part of my advanced/graduate training at some level. I don't think there is enough mouthwash on this island to get the bad taste out of my mouth.