Wednesday, August 27, 2008

R&R and Soon

This much needed break from studies has been really nice. I'm recovering daily the motivation for next term. That sustained, disciplined process needs renewal I think. Like the reason for sabbaticals for college professors...sometimes you just need the break to rejuvenate.  After figuring out what I need to do to be a successful student after this many years, the element of sustained thinking is the one I find to the most difficult.

image

Dr. John C. Maxwell describes discipline as "doing what you really do not want to do, so you can do what you really want to do". We all have the tendency to be undisciplined in the areas that we do not care to do. But that is emotion leading choice, rather than choices leading our lives. I'm learning that daily in life and school.

I've resolved to be more disciplined in three areas...thinking, emotions, and actions.

Disciplined Thinking:  Through the process of sustained thinking, I am learning to focus more on the issues at hand for the long term. Medical school makes you do that. My marriage had me to doing that.  And I don't think it is lack of skill. I think it is a unwillingness to try to master sustained thinking....focusing on the process and goals for long periods of time while engaged in the actions necessary to achieve it.

image Disciplined Emotions: This is fairly difficult for most; It has for me.  I have resolved to master them more than they task me. Unfortunately our actions, particularly towards others, are manifested from our emotions. Controlling that connection is the key. I'll never stop "feeling" certain things, but it doesn't have to come out in my behavior.

Disciplined Actions: Once a choice is made (medical school) and the intention is clear thru starting the process, follow thru via disciplined action is the key to reaching the goal.

The only way I can become an accomplished physician and man is to keep growing, and learning. The day I stop growing and learning, it is finished.

I am preparing for the next term by getting things together and actually starting the reading. I've also plotted my schedule for study and review for the next term as most of the content will haunt me again on Part 1 USMLE. I learned a lot about me being a student again. Now thru disciplined action about that thought, I'll make those improvements necessary for next term and beyond. "Patience grasshopper; All will be revealed".

image 

"Motivation is very important, and thus my simple religion is love, respect for others, honesty. With proper motivation these can help humanity…" - His Holiness the Dalai Lama