Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Storm Keeps Giving

AT 500 AM EDT...0900Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM FAY WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 29.1 NORTH...LONGITUDE 80.7 WEST OR ABOUT 20 MILES...EAST-SOUTHEAST OF DAYTONA BEACH FLORIDA.

FAY HAS MOVED VERY LITTLE OVER THE LAST FEW HOURS. HOWEVER...A SLOW MOTION TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST IS FORECAST TO BEGIN LATER TODAY AND CONTINUE FOR THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS. ON THIS TRACK...FAY IS FORECAST TO MOVE SLOWLY ACROSS THE NORTHERN FLORIDA PENINSULA TODAY...AND BE VERY NEAR THE GULF COAST OF THE FLORIDA PANHANDLE BY EARLY SATURDAY.

The storm that spawned in the Caribe just north east of us continues it's track, or lack thereof, in northern Florida. This thing has lasted for a long time since I first saw it off the African coast and we pontificated on it's possible destructive path across the Netherlands Antilles. I suspect that any water we "caught" in our cistern from this storm is long been used for flushing and showering, but the storm continues to provide water. I'm sure that north Florida has had enough of this visit.

The student center on my side of town will officially close today to access, although the library and study center near administration will remain open over break. Today is the last, last day of the term officially. I'm taking my final final and, hopefully, will know that I've passed the term and am able to move onward later this morning. It's been a great challenge, filled with amazing highs and lows, but I know it is literally just the beginning as I move ahead. The effort was huge, but the payoffs are revealing themselves daily as I create this new life.

I am going to give myself two gifts before I leave: One - I'm going to diving tomorrow. There is something magical about the silence of the deep. The water has been amazingly clear and bright blue the last few days and has called me. Or perhaps those are just the voices in my head from the insanity that has been this last class and exam? In any event, I know that the treat of the dive will help the process of clearing my head for break and the next term.

Two - I'm going to graduation tonight. Several of my new friends, one house mate included, are leaving the island after today for clinical rotations in the US, UK, and Holland. Experiencing this act of transition will, I'm sure, inspire and give something to look forward too over the next 18 months. I'll try to store an "experience" for future reference, somewhere in my frontal lobe. I'm very excited and happy for the last termers who will be taking USMLE Step 1 in the next few months, and then starting rotations. BTW, our program is somewhat unique in that sense...You cannot start clinical rotations of years 3 and 4 without passing USMLE Step 1. Some motivation huh?

So should be an interesting day in paradise. I pray for the powers of the public hell Gods to smile their countenance upon me over the next few hours. It is done.