Monday, August 11, 2008

Abuse

Finally, some real attention to a real problem. An article appeared recently about doctors acting out. The article details one hospitals program, and an "emerging effort to crack down on what some call healthcare road rage. The push is inspired by a growing body of research suggesting that swearing, yelling, and throwing objects are not just rude and offensive to co-workers, but hurt patients by increasing the likelihood of medical errors."

I've known about this problem for years. This industry is totally stressed out. Add egocentric, type A personalities imageto the mix and you have frustration, anger and acting  out. I've been the victim of these madmen for many years, one as recently as my last job. If I did, what this and other physicians I've worked with had done, I would have been fired, or even arrested. But nothing happens to them. Why? They are high earners and have mustered political clout. They seem to have the ability to fend off critique and punishment even with horrific stories of behavior. I've witnessed more than my fair share.

I'm thrilled to see that is changing and vow never to become one of them. I must always remember where I come from and be cognizant of the scars left by those physicians before who left them. Never again.