Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Void

The cleaning staff will fill the void of information when none is forthcoming. It's just amazing that smart leaders don't comprehend the damage done by unethical communication about jugular issues. And not saying anything at all is part of that formula for disaster. It leave a huge, gaping void that students and staff and the community will fill. I shouldn't hear from the staff about how they plan to survive the school's closing. I shouldn't hear from the store clerk that the government has been advised that the school is not going to be open very much longer. I shouldn't hear from a neighborhood child that she no longer aspires to got to medical school here because it is closing. The multiple of sources says we are not long for this place and I'm planning my exit so when it does fall, I'll have a contingency.

The sad part is that I'm one of the loyal. I'm doing my part to be supportive with my tuition and my verbiage, but it is increasingly difficult in a the environment of unethical communication. This has given me lots of time to contemplate what it is that we expect from our leadership that isn't forthcoming. It is fundamental to the relationship that the leadership here wants...ethical communication. We need to be shown some integrity, and respect and it is not there. It is the reason why we are seeing the exodus of quality leaders and teachers. Unethical communication threatens the quality of all communication and the well being of the university society. It's so simple to see, but difficult to deliver:

  • truthfulness, accuracy, honesty
  • tolerance of dissent to achieve informed and responsible decision making
  • understanding and respect
  • information that contributes to the well-being of students, faculty, their families and the university
  • caring and mutual understanding
  • elimination of distortion
  • fairness and justice
  • sharing information when facing significant choices
  • respecting privacy and confidentiality

We have a tremendous void and it translates into distrust and fear. If this is how a company respects it's stakeholders, which students are, they can't survive...even if they wanted to. Just tell us, and let us make the decisions we need to make. I appeal to the leadership to start a different path NOW, before it's too late. If we are going under, and you know it, tell us, tell the staff, tell the faculty. There is no shame in honesty.

image