Sunday, January 11, 2009

Injured But Not Out

"A pearl is a beautiful thing that is produced by an injured life. It is the tear [that results] from the injury of the oyster. The treasure of our being in this world is also produced by an injured life. If we had not been wounded, if we had not been injured, then we will not produce the pearl." - Stephan Hoeller

image

I'm back on the rock after a wonderful break with family, and friends. My "over" bags all arrived intact and together...a first.  The view of Statia from the air at night was actually exciting. The reminders of life here have already returned, complete with "itching" from mosquito bites (I just realized I didn't get bit once at home, near the mosquito infested swamps).

I've recovered my sensibility I hope and managed to stem the tide of personal fear in many areas of my life including school. I joke about closure and having to relocate, but realize that all acts of God cannot be influenced by our fears. And, if school closes, so be it. But I won't leave voluntarily and hope that others consider that action carefully. Each person who transfers could be the straw that breaks the camels back and forces the school to close. These are tough times and tough minded students will just stay put, and contribute to the success. In the end we all win. I've resolved to smile a lot and hang in there. For the moment, my bank agrees.

We, as a school and a students body, are wounded. I hope that issues of loans, faculty, curriculum, communication, costs etc are being addressed in a prudent manner for a win/win result for every stakeholder (and yes, students are stakeholders too; Contrary to the belief of school administrators in general). But it is thru the wound that "pearls" are created and this could be that wound. As the air of "no confidence" lifts (hopefully) among remaining students and faculty, I hope that we will emerge stronger. That is a great possibility that we could all benefit from. One can hope. As Helen Keller said - "Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved." This could be that trial.

So now, onward to the next term...starting in a few days. I'm filled with excitement again about this challenge, the science and the opportunities. I'm sure it won't be long until I'm beat into submission by pathways, microbes and disease, but it is refreshing to be back, and on track with a clear focus on the goal. That is the true benefit of the "break" beyond the family, friends, food. I have to admit though, strolling thru Costco the other day, eating a multitude of samples, was a spiritual experience with near out of body qualities that I will soon miss.

image

Thanks everyone for making break so wonderful. I can't thank you enough for the love, hospitality, food, attention, rum, bed space, travel companionship, cheesecake, Strongbow, soccer, roller coaster thrills, ears, and hearts. I am a very lucky human with more blessings than sense.