Monday, January 19, 2009

Fantasy Land

I first saw this vessel when I landed in St. Maarten the the other day. It was sitting off the coastal runway, and even then (before I knew what it was) I took a photo. It's huge, and very conspicuous. Surrounded by the masted sailboat and the private jets just highlighted the obvious nature of it's silhouette.

Mega off St. Maarten

I've never actually owned a boat, but I've had access to them for a long, long time. I've been around and seen big boats forever growing up in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, going to all the boat shows and recently cruising the Inter-coastal professionally (didn't own, but used the heck out of a few).  But this is a MEGA! And they visited Statia too. What a beautiful craft!

377 foot yacht

The P*e*l*o*r*u*s is one of the largest private yachts in the world. It is 377 feet long (a football field, plus) and is owned by a Russian billionaire.  It's a big boat. It has a crew of about 45 persons. Amazing by any standard. Seeing it off the coast from my study hall window to the Caribe world was captivating.

I wonder if they need an on board doc when I'm done. Can't be too hard to add a 46 crew.