Friday, January 30, 2009

A Bit Microbe Oriented

Graves

It is a real possibility that we may all die directly or indirectly from infection.  There was a family on the island that got very, very sick on year. It was likely food poisoning of an extreme nature like Salmonella. They are buried together in the cemetery here. Sad, but true. Many islanders died of infectious disease and the cemetery yards are filled with that memory. I had the chance to tour some of those sites recently. It is a reminder of how disease spreads, mutates, and kills.

Exams are here for the first round. Nothing unusual about it except nobody knows what to expect from the new profs. Those profs that have been here for awhile have a reputation and there is some sense of what they are about, and what they are after from us. The is the most anxiety provoking part of school for many...what do you want from me in order for me to be successful. That is the purpose of cogent lectures, syllabus, and information provided from the instructor. It is that link between the student and the content that the instructor permits. Remove the instructor, and you have self teaching and guess about the success path. I've learned not to expect too much from anyone and do what I can to just "get er done."

I'm gliding into the rhythm that is island life, and school. I have become more cognizant that it doesn't matter how much you complain or anguish over stuff...there is no way it will improve as long as there is no cognition of the real problems. But that's ok; We'll get what we need and the problem isn't here...it's medical education in general. I've said plenty on that subject.

On another note, it's starting to feel like spring already. The days are getting longer and hotter. The "muggy" is coming back. The water will be warming up slowly between now and summer and I hope to take advantage of that between brain feeds. I'm moving steadily toward being 1/2 way done here, and that feels amazing.  It'll be summer way to soon, and very hot. We need some really strong, steady rain to fill the cisterns before then and before the endospores and bacillus grow rampant.

Salmonella The only unresolved issue is if I'll actually get Salmonella or not...I ate a product that has been recalled for possible contamination by the recent peanut butter paste Salmonella scare. I'm not sure that I would recognize Salmonella GI symptoms from island food symptoms though. Maybe it'll make me feel better? It is fitting thought that I have this possibility in my life as I study about the medical manifestations of the disease. Perhaps this is just all part of the lab exercise?