Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Final Push to Finals

image As it is in life anywhere, you sometimes miss the beauty of your surroundings and the gifts in your life when you are so focused on the negative and the weariness of it all.  That state of weariness begins to creep into studies and living about this time each term. It's particularly acute given the long break to come, complete with the many holiday celebrations that await us. Time for family, friends and just being with people you love, and in places that are comfortably familiar. The conversations are completely focused on "when you leaving", "where you going" and statements of "I can't wait." It's been a long term for us with the changes in faculty, terrors of finances and school cutbacks, fears of the future, and worry. New cases of Dengue, a hurricane "hit" and assorted infrastructure challenges haven't made that any better.

But in all that challenges there are triumphs, and the times to enjoy the day and life in all the positives. That is certainly the case here. The school, for better or worse, is open, faculty are being hired again, services are being restored. Former basic science islanders are passing USMLE part 1 and moving to clinicals. Dutch accreditation is moving forward and hopefully will be a "full" reality shortly. I'm doing well in school and anticipate pulling out of this term in good shape academically. So, while the air and water around us is cooling for the Caribe winter, so does the air of trepidation that seemed to be the undercurrent of life here.

I could complain about what I've endured so far, but it's not been that bad. I'm less inclined to judge and condemn and more willing to just work with what is. Certainly not as bad as it could be as we hear about mayhem in India, and other significant crises around the world.  I can reflect and completely agree that what hasn't killed me strengthens me daily. I appreciate where I'm headed, see the goal..., so these "bumps" are really not an issue in the grand scheme. Some things I can control, others I cannot. And in the interim, there is always the underwater. image

It is the most peaceful, contemplative place to be...down under. That is assuming your have enough air, and all your equipment works. Also assumes you don't get lost from the group and can find your way back to the boat. This past week, I had the chance to get away to the backside of the island, part I've never seen. And I was rewarded with an amazing few minutes with one of the largest turtles I've ever seen. I'm sure that they don't have to worry about testing, going to lecture and worrying about the things we worry about.  For those few minute, I could almost imagine I was one of them. And for that time, I didn't have to worry about those things either. Sweet!