Saturday, October 4, 2008

Ugh!

Seems like this conversation comes up pretty regularly lately. The one where two people, whos' ages total 100 or more, talk about how they feel relative to how they are in chronology. I know I look older, but I feel like I'm still that kid that was running around in South Florida in his '65 F85 Olds with the Kenwood 8-track tape player and dual JVC speakers playing Jethro Tull ("Aqualung"), Deep Purple ("Machine Head") and Pink Floyd.  And others in my age bracket here seem to agree or at least we commiserate. Ok I get it. The strata I'm from is old.  I'm on the edge of baby booming. When I was 20 something I thought people my age were old. Why should I think they'll believe anything more or less of me? But does God have to continue to remind me?!

I'm doing my regular run to the water cooler in between classes the other day. It's a bit of a hike from our downstairs classroom (not really, I'm just old). There, I run into one of the new term 20 something students (20ss) and ask how she is doing with class and island life? She's cordial and tells me about missing home (somewhere in the "great white north") and her struggles in Anatomy...and asks about my struggles. I passively, and briefly tell her about Genetics, a "course that wasn't even invented when I graduated PA school in the mid 1980's." Then I caught myself and paused...

Now I get that I set myself up. I totally take responsibility for allowing her the opportunity to remind me, yet again, that I'm surrounded by humans that are young enough to be my kids if I was responsible enough to have them when I was 20 something (I wasn't).

She says, "Wow, I wasn't even born then."

UGH! I hope she fails anatomy. And she didn't even know who Deep Purple was.

image