Friday, October 17, 2008

Blisters

I miss comforts. I miss my little girl. I miss Halloween. I miss my family. I miss fall in the NC mountains. I miss Coldstone. I think I need a hug. But I digress...

Losing more weight hasn't helped, but I think I'm developing blisters and hard calluses on my ever increasingly superficial ischial tuberosities...those bony landmarks that support our entire weight when we sit in front of computer screens, notes and textbooks for hours at a time without realizing we have been. I usually imageget up and stretch, eat, socialize, make up things to say with others when I feel that first blood clot forming in my legs (another symptom of sitting too long without moving - deep vein thrombosis). I've been sitting for long periods of time lately getting ready for midterms. I've got 3 full days until round of torture is over. I'm sure I'll "B"ready for them, in a manner of speaking.  Ah, no more grades starting this term, so I'll "P"ready.

It's funny how you "am ready" when you walk in the room. Actually that is not a statement of preparedness (as you are physically walking into the room to test), but more of resignation. More acceptance of the fate really. imageI'm sure that William Wallace (Scotland) and Joan of Arc felt much the same way. Rather than by hanging or fire, mine will be by computer assisted testing software, covering 4 subjects in 3 courses from 8 AM until 12 noon. I hope to maximize the information retention portions of my cerebral gyri by then. I wish Moses was here to "part" the beta pleated sheets of my brain. It's all about retention. A good thing if we are talking about the bladder, but impossible for the brain at times.

I'm sitting at school, ready for post hurricane roll call (our disaster management system). Hopefully some study here and then home or other study spots I've staked out since arriving that have access to the only pre-reqs: food, water, bathroom, Internet, electricity...not necessarily in that order. With the weather clearing some (still raining) after Omar's visit, it's time to get that rhythm back. Sleep, eat, study, swim, repeat. This weekend, that before a major exam, is made for that. Butt cushion anyone??

image