Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Booty

Ceramics found - click for bigger picWalking along what's left of the beach (and there is not much) I found some interesting Dutch, Spanish and English pieces of ceramics and pottery. Some of the design and texture was amazing...little works of art. I'm sure that some of them may be 100's of years old.  Sorry that the gold bullion wreck didn't wash up to (but I'm Ceramics found - click for bigger picstill looking).  The hurricane literally raked the bottom of the Caribbean floor and deposited it very close to and on shore along with damaging many of the beautiful diving sites around here.  It's not surprising that this stuff washed up during the storm since Statia was a free trade port for the world, and a smugglers haven for stolen goods. It was also "kept" by several countries over the years. A tumultuous history of plundering, pillaging and trade. Ceramics found - click for bigger picAnyway, just thought I'd share some of the more interesting ones. I don't have them anymore though, ...threw 'em back into the ocean on my swim...where they rightfully belong. Although, I'm sure the local historical society might take exception to that. I suspect that there is at least one PhD candidate in archeology that needed one of them to complete her dissertation. I may have thrown away a million dollar fortune...that one piece missing from completing a full collection of Statia Ceramic Parts and Pieces, I think now "showing" at the Museum of History in Amsterdam. But my police mind said, these might be stolen. I certainly wouldn't want to be arrested for aiding and abetting a pirate Blue Beads of Statiawould I? How would that look on my application for residency?  I'm still looking for the ever elusive blue bead though.