Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Printer-instability Syndrome

I think I've been patient. I know that I've got an "American service mentality" (one local calls it ASM), but I've not been able to use the school printers since May (5 months). In the scope of a 2 year experience, when is enough enough. I've done all the right things. I've consulted IT and done everything they've said to do...several times. I've loaded, downloaded, reconfigured...all the things I was supposed to do, to get the benefits that I've contracted with the school to do related to printing. Still nothing, until yesterday.

Printer hell! Now this is no small problem in the week before exams.  While some don't feel the same, I really need print capability to study the way I need to study. It's just me. I've not completely graduated into the world of paperless, but I've come a long way. And I've done everything I was supposed to do to make that happen. But this system is not right. And while I understand the challenges, and the issues at large (too many to deal with here), the simple fact is that me, simple student, can't print. It is such a bad problem that part of the platform in our student government elections of the presidential candidates was their promise to fix the print situation. Sad really.

Yesterday I lost it. I'm sick (fever this morning), I am behind, I am totally stressed out by tests coming that I'm not ready for, and I couldn't print. In no uncertain terms I described in vivid, pungent detail to the IT professional (and I use that term loosely) why this was such a problem and pleaded, begged, groveled, prayed aloud, and ranted about doing whatever we needed to do to fix it today. I can now print. Amazing what can happen.

There is a feeling on this island that we students are just visitors and need to put up with everything thrown at us. That somehow we need to suck up, digest and absorb every little thing that we are subject too without a whimper. I've done that, but there are some things, however seemingly unimportant to the outside world, that students just "need" to help make this experience manageable and bearable and (dare I) successful.

I'll put up with sharks and jellyfish, killer bees, mosquitos the size of aircraft with Denge', unbearable heat, food supplies that rival most 3rd world countries (I said most), high prices, alcoholic drifters barricading the lab door, surly locals serving me with attitude when I shop their stores, water from a cistern, roaches larger than my shoes...but I need to print. For the moment, I can, and I'm happy although sick. But I need to go apologize to the IT guys. It's not their fault. They are just a symptom of what this experience is. Good gosh, I just want to be a doctor. Printer heaven...