Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Swimming Anyone?

Water EverywhereI am about as ready as can be for this thing called Omar. The irony still has me smile every time I hear or say the name. We started in class this morning, but school just closed and is no longer an option. Electricity may stay on at school, but Internet is off, and doors are locked up tight. We don't have to be back until Friday morning, so Thursday will be in the house study day for sure.

It is officially at Cat 1 storm and will pass just to the east of PR and west of us. You'd hardly know it from what I see about preparation. It is lack luster at best.  It is no wonder that when a Cat III or higher hits the islands there is so much damage, injury and death. There is debris, potential "missiles" everywhere.  They are saying words like "hard hit" as a Cat 2 for this one and with an excess of 10 inches of rain. Should be interesting. The weather channel just said something about St. Kitts getting "walloped" so that means us too.

So home it is, or where ever my little legs can carry me. I can see the Caribe and the path of the incoming storm, so it should start knocking on my front window in the next 12 hours or so. I've got 36 liters of water, gas for the stove and all the peanuts I can eat. I can make it for a long time on those provisions. My candles are out on the table, my back up battery and power supply is charged for the laptop and fridge if I really need it. And I've printed out the content for class and exams just in case. I am worried about blowing rain under the door, thru the jalousie windows. Yes, I said jalousie.

I heard we were the last Caribe med school to close, but that is hardly a surprise. We do things different on Statia. I think it's time for a swim. :) Just kidding Mom.