Monday, September 15, 2008

Genetics Emerges

"How simple it is to see that all the worry in the world cannot control the future. How simple it is to see that we can only be happy. And that there will never be a time when it is not now." -- Gerald Jampolsky

-------------

While I really worried about Biochemistry, it turns out to be one of my fave classes so far. I love intertwingling of clinical disease in this course and the links to my real fave, physiology. The combination of the two has great value in my understanding of clinical disease. I get that.

image The beast has turned out to be genetics. I am so totally lost in the terminology and verbiage. I wish there was something nice to say about, but I can't think of anything. This will be my "beast", at least this part. I'm trying not to worry and be happy (sounds like a great Reggae song), but it a challenge for my brain to wrap around polymerases, ligand strand substitutions...aaarrgh! Like anything I need more time with the matter. Afterall it's just week 1, but I'm struggling.

This is SUCH an important class though, and I know it.  It is becoming more and more imperative to understand genetics in health and disease. In history taking, and disease counseling it is foundational. I totally get that, but I'm not sure that I'll be able to get thru it without worry. And I'm pretty sure I won't be happy :) Back to reviewing it for the umpteenth time.