Saturday, September 6, 2008

Biologicalchemistry

Shark Teacher I have great confidence in my ability to get through stuff in school. It is a curse...not being really very smart, but having the tenacity to learn stuff when I need to do so.  Yet I am internally fearful of putting my toe into this gulf called Biochemistry. I have had classes in and understand the core elements of physiology and genetics (my other courses), but biochemistry brings back hauntingly painful experiences of organic chemistry in my premedical days. I know I was only 17 years old when I went to college and was barely mature enough for the experience of going away to college let alone college chemistry, but the trauma of my chemistry experience has stayed with me all these years.

Biochemistry is the application of chemistry to the study of biological processes at the cellular and molecular level. It emerged as a distinct discipline around the beginning of the 20th century when scientists combined chemistry, physiology and biology to investigate the chemistry of living systems.  Biochemistry is both a life science and a chemical science - it explores the chemistry of living organisms and the molecular basis for the changes occurring in living cells.  Biochemistry has become the foundation for understanding all biological processes. It has provided explanations for the causes of many diseases in humans, animals and plants. It can frequently suggest ways by which such diseases may be treated or cured.

CaffeineI understand the purpose of biochemistry and it's application to all areas of health and disease as we move forward to ever increasing clinical applications. I'm even fascinated with the topic, knowing how much I missed in my previous education as I contemplated the uselessness of the content (I was deluded then).  But I know the sharks are out there and the long days and nights of butt numbing processes to get it to stick in my brain. Swim anyone?? Should be a fun term!  I can feel my caffeine titer going up as I type.