Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Blessings

...storm-ravaged landscape stretching out for miles, flooded rice fields, washed-out cities and survivors battling rivers of mud.

image The blessings of life, what we actually have in our lives, is often a function of recognition of what is going on around us. After all we are of the same "rainbow", and share a purpose "being" human.  Buddha called it "presence in the present" and an awareness of everything outside of us. In relative terms, it is about "counting" your blessings, and recognizing that we are all in this struggle of life, and need to be sure to realize what we have. Those eureka experiences don't come often enough for me, but did again this morning with the release of photos of the damage and destruction in both Haiti and Cuba from imagerecent storms.

"Professing with our mouths" is our task from God and I can "say" that I am so grateful for the blessings and the opportunities that I have in my life. It is a full recognition that, even though relative to the suffering of others, I have much to be grateful for - my loving parents, my tremendously supportive family, wonderfully constant and caring friends (there is a reason they hang in there with me regardless of my foibles), my amazing daughter and the opportunity to study the art of healing.

If I have forgotten to fully "profess" that in my short time on earth, or have been distracted by the chores and schedule of life that I created, I apologize. It was not intentional or the "truth". I guess that is also to say that class, after 1 1/2 days, is going well and I am energized by the content and the purpose and hope to one day be a real, tangible part of "the solution", contributing to others, being a blessing for someone else.  I know that, in many ways, I have been part of the problem for too long. Everyday, pictures or no pictures, there is renewed resolve. My walk with myself, and God...and (for the moment only) my biochemistry professor.

BTW, even as I battle the content, I love the professors this term. They are knowledgeable, witty, and present in a manner consistent with the high quality I enjoy.  As always it is assumed that it will be what I need, for when I need it. For the moment, it is so and my "faith" (recognition of something that may not be directly in front of us) is unwavering. I am in the right place, at the right time. And I may not be where I want to ultimately be, but I'm MUCH better off than where I was before. That's progress.