Monday, June 2, 2008

Sailing

image

I've had the fortune to meet a few intrepid traveler's on Statia. They are nomadic sailors...couples, families, singles sailing around the islands from point all around the globe without a destination or purpose other than to sail, and discover places not yet seen. There are some truly amazing stories. One recent meet was a couple from the Midwest of the U.S. who traversed the Great Lakes to the coast and then down to Florida. When their vacation was to end, they chucked it all, and continued. Two years later they are still sailing the Caribbean with no plans to return. Life revolves around sailing, and daily recreating their relationship. I was enthralled listening to them speak about the who, what, where, when and how's of sailing indefinitely.

Statia seems to attract such folks as a part of the the "path" around the Caribbean. It's location certainly helps that...on the way to most everywhere in the island chain. I guess that is why there is a ship "gas station" here. Really a tank farm with large hoses for refueling really big boats. Almost 1/4 of the island is a "tank farm" dedicated to that purpose.

image

One of the sailing couples I met provided me this insight:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

I don't think it is by accident that I'm here studying. No matter how difficult this gets, I am thankful that I no longer have the bowlines and seemingly safe harbor. A romantic picture as I navigate anatomy, histology, embryology and public health.