Thursday, June 12, 2008

I'm Legal!

A letter came today in my mailbox at school outlining the process for completing my immigration papers. A mid-length walk to the police station where the immigration office is, over to administration, to the tax office to pay the ID tax, and then to the passport division....and it was done. About 3 hours of investment today (yes it's hot today), and I'M LEGAL! It's been a long haul, lots of paperwork, seemingly hundreds of copies of birth certificates, ID photos, and notary visits since I started this process several months ago...but it's finally DONE! I am officially a temporary resident of the Netherlands Antilles and Statia!

BlueManStatia ID Card

Now you may not think this is a very important thing in the scheme of life and the healing arts, but that little, manually-typed and laminated card is the key to being able to be here. They WILL deport medical students who don't have it by a certain period of time. It is stark reminder that we are visitors in this country, and have to have permission to be here. The card is that permission. One less thing to worry about so I can concentrate on upcoming exams...anatomy lab is next Friday (ONE WEEK!), and I don't know my ASIS from my pes anceranus. Lions, and tigers and bears, oh my! I've got time...no sweat (or maybe a little). Hey, it's Statia mon!