Friday, June 6, 2008

Hurricane Preparation

I am acutely aware of where we are and the risk of hurricanes, but I am surprised at the lack of that thought here, on this unprotected island. Both among locals I've spoken too, and to fellow students, there is a sense of "safety" that really does not exist on this 2 x 5 mile island. Now I am sensitive...I know. I've cleaned up after a few good ones...Andrew, Wilma. So my sensitivity borders on panic when I can still smell the gas from generators and feel the "damp" of the walls. I know where the shelters are on Statia and have an "interior" bathroom.

Contrary to the opinions I've been hearing lately, Statia is not immune. Quite the contrary, if one was headed our way, I'd leave. No hesitation. South America is a hop, skip and jump from SXM airport. I won't need an excuse. The electricity and water is too tenuous here.  I PICT6725doubt we could even get drinkable water if the shipping system was out. The current supply of bottled wouldn't last a week I bet. And I doubt the airport it long enough for big planes to land with supplies (just guessing there, but I've never seen one land there). Looking at the small harbor port, I'm sure it would be mostly destroyed and the lower road to town from there, flooded.

The Great Hurricane of 1780 hit this place and is a stark reminder of the power, fury and vulnerability here.  It was "perfect storm" and considered one of the most deadly on record. I don't want to inspire panic, just realism. You can't prepare enough, this close to the African coast. You may have a week or more in Florida, but big fast moving storms get to Statia in days or hours. We are pretty far east. Sometimes I think I can smell the Ivory Coast if the wind is right.

The Great Hurricane of 1780 killed almost 30,000 people and destroyed the Lesser Antilles (of which Statia is PICT6711part).  The U.S. hurricane center wasn't set up then, so the details are not complete, but one thing is for sure, Statia was devastated. It was also the storm that brought down the most French, British and Spanish ships in the Caribbean. This area is strewn with wrecks from that storm year. Remember this was the U.S. revolution time. We have to remember too that this was October, very late in the "season".

I'm not fearful, and I'm certainly not shell shocked or debilitated by hurricanes, particularly those that happened over 200 years ago, but I do respect them. Duggins Grocery Sitting in the shell of my parents house after Andrew did that to me.  I'll forever be the guy that has too many flashlights, too many batteries and too many cans of fruit, veggies and meats in storage for the "just in case".  I pick a few new cans each time I walk by Duggins Shopping Center (an amazing misnomer).  Being without electricity after Wilma did that to me. I do have a gas stove though. And I have 3 can openers too. I can't even imagine what getting a generator, is like here...where there is no Sam's Club, WalMart, Home Depot or Lowe's. Not a chance.