Wednesday, January 12, 2011

From Vaginas to Interaction

image I got bored with studying the nuances of gynecology, speculum exam and the various presentations of vaginas & cervices in clinical practice. While potentially an exciting subject and surely one to be on the boards and in clinical practice, I guess being cooped up for these days awaiting "thaw" has over-drenched my brain with the subject.  I think too I inherently fear any content that has so much focus on estrogen, vagina and babies.

So I moved on to read some journals and stumbled upon one related to the psychosocial aspects of clinical care. And phrase caught my attention: "judging days"; Those days and times when we are too busy analyzing our own actions or the actions of others instead of just focusing on doing good, what's best and what's right.

Seems like such a subtle perspective, but it's really a dramatic one I think. From Judgement Dayjudgmental to just providing the best care possible. The system seems to train into young minds being judgmental because inherently the system is such. Every action we take is assessed, graded, scrutinized, commented on and judged by others in some way. It would be difficult to assume that new providers wouldn't be the same with each other, staff and patients.

But in the system comes the choice. And that may be the greatest advantage of being an older dude in this educational process; making the choice to do what's right, and just serving...thinking less about the judgement of others, and more about doing the rightimage thing. It means abandoning the "what about me" mentality that seems so pervasive in medicine and the world in general. It's about abandoning a core selfishness that seeks to provide personal gratification and satisfaction over the needs of others.

But then I've always tried to do that even in my private life. And I hope that it extended to my practice life so that the "judging days" are way less than the just "doing the right thing" days. It's a daily, even moment by moment, choice. And just knowing that makes the choice easier and more clear. Even if it makes navigating the process of medical education more challenging. In this case it may be more beneficial not to "go with the flow."

image 

“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung