Friday, January 28, 2011

Epiphany

There comes a moment of recognition on rotations that is hard to ignore and likely the core reason why we do this. It's that moment in time that I realized that I really enjoy learning, I've learned a lot, but I couldn't see myself doing this specialty full time. I really hope to help kick out a few babies in my career, but I'm certain I won't be doing OB/Gyn full time. That is both a relief and a hallmark moment on any rotation.

image

Still I need to learn all I can since I know with great certainty that while babies and vaginas are not my career passion, I will see this content on the boards I'm certain. And it has been a GREAT experience in many ways.

Case point: When 19 year old smokers come in 27 weeks pregnant with no history of pre-natal care, folic acid, nutrition / vitamin / supplement support, is it any wonder there are complications? The world of medicine if faced with very tough decisions indeed.