Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day #2 - It's all about what you give

"Let me introduce you to 3 of my students. Two of them are smart. Can you guess which one?"

image

It doesn't matter how smart or accomplished you are in this field. Teacher's of medicine can find ways to "pimp you" into submission and the recognition that you don't know squat. And that seems so easy in my case. Even simple questions seem to throw those willing to work hard to prove themselves in clinical education.

"What is the single factor in determining specialty choice by student physicians?" he asked. "Passionate interest" M said. "And you?", the instructor asked pointing to me. "I was going to say passion", I said. Did that really come out of my almost a doctor mouth? And with that, I moved to the top of the shit list and received a public lashing. Of the 1000's of words in the English dictionary, I couldn't think of one additional reason? What a maroon!

I must be the dumb one. At least I know where I stand, sit or mutter. My position on the lowest wrung of the scut dog ladder is insured. And it doesn't help that I stick out like a sore thumb in this sea of youth, dark hair and essence of "smart as hell". But then, I did know the breast cancer contraindication to the use of estrogen/progesterone in women. And the other reasons likely to show up on some board exam in the future?

  • hypersensitivity to the drug
  • pregnancy, known or suspected
  • undiagnosed vaginal bleeding
  • thromboembolic disorders
  • cerebrovascular disease
  • hepatic tumors, benign or malignant
  • hepatic disease, active
  • papilledema
  • retinal vascular lesions
  • sudden onset vision loss or changes
  •  

    I do have lots to learn, and I'm sure there will be many more "dumbass" moments in my clinical education. I think that's why they make us wear the short coats.