Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Mentors

I don't take the concept of mentors lightly. I've had a few really good ones over my life in medicine. I appreciate someone who can, regardless of their position or degree status, appreciate where others are in their pursuit of excellence. They are consummate listeners. They drift into long silence as they analyze your needs. They respond quickly when needed and slowly when necessary. But overall, they believe that they can help you create the best you and not make the same mistakes they made.

image

Thanks to the Mentorship Program at the ACP, I've found such a person. The most amazing phone call today about my pursuit of medicine and the future of being a physician. With all that knowledge and experience, it was hard not to feel awed by this physician's commitment (even in the short time of a phone call) to my success. And thanks for making Internal Medicine more than just a bunch of fat, smoking, hypertensive diabetics who don't comply anyway. Thankfully, another myth dashed.