Thursday, August 13, 2009

40 Years

"And it's one, two, three, what are we fighting for? Don't ask me I don't give a damn..."

In the hills of New York state, 40 years ago, there was a  failed concert. There were too many people, no organization, too few services and some ofimage the worst rainstorms of the season. But it was an event that probably changed many people. Today is the anniversary of that concert.

I'm pretty sure at the age of 12 that my parents wouldn't have let me go to Woodstock, but it influenced my choices in music for the rest of my life. I still have some of the greats on my IPod: Santana, Jimi Hendrix, Ten Years After, Sly and the Family Stone, John Sebastian, Jefferson Airplane, Paul Butterfield, Arlo Guthrie, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Richie Havens, Country Joe and the Fish, Joan Baez, The Who, Joe Cocker, Sha Na Na (yes, "Bowser"), and Canned Heat. The first real album I heard and owned in college was Jefferson Starship. I still get silent listening to a full rendition of the Star Spangled Banner by Jimi. Am I still listening to Santana's imagemusic after 40 years? Amazing! And when I met Stephen Stills in Hawaii I was speechless.

But the real effect was the thread of spirit and thought it laid down in future friends, camp counselors and bunk mates, relatives and in my heart, and the sense of rebellion it kindled in my psyche. I'm not sure that is all a good thing, but it's there none the less and I'm still marching to a different drummer after all these years. Happy 40th Anniversary!

"And I get by, with a little help from my friends..."