Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Post Pottery Booty Analysis

Post 'Cane Booty Arggghhhh! Avast mateys! All this treasure hunting on the west coast before and after my afternoon swims has yielded some interesting finds.  Photos got reviewed by our local expert.

Overall I got some refined earthwares:
-Creamware 1760s-70s
-Pearlware 1770s-1820s
-Tin Enamelware (often incorrectly called Delft) 1550s-present
-Canaryware 1760's

I got some Stonewares:
-Frechen (Bartman Jug) 1580s-1680s
-Fulham 1600s
-Dutch/German water/gin jugs 1700s

And some Coarse earthenwares
-Afro-Caribbeanware 1500-present
-Black glazed Earthenware 1730s-1760s

Not a bad haul for a part time beachcomber and archeologist. Pretty cool stuff got kicked up by the storm who shall not be named.  My searching will have to slow as the volume of molecular biology, genetics, biochem and physio begins to expand beyond the boundaries of my inner space.  But is was fun to think that one of my treks would yield the great treasures of pirates gone past. Blue glass was a great substitute.