Thursday, November 13, 2008

Alive and Well, Old

image

So if you've never been to school, as an older (politically correctly called "non-traditional" full time student, you just can't relate, but I'll try to paint the picture. The age gap is alive and well. Medical school is not hard, it's just a lot. And when you put together "a lot" with 20 some-things, you get stress. And when you are 20 something and you want to un-stress...it's usually a combination of eating, drinking, frivolity, nakedness (both public and private), sleeping and maybe some more drinking. I've been thru all those stages in the past but occasionally it's fun and bonding to get together with classmates during and after stress filled weeks of content being thrown at us (hoping it'll stick).

I've been wondering lately about all the invitations for dinners and get togethers that I'm not getting when the 20 some-things de-stress. Now I don't feel that I'm being excluded but have wondered about the dynamics (I've written about them before). It is different.  So I was talking to someone about it yesterday and said something about my perception of the gap. She (a verified 20 something) was very clear....

"Don't take this wrong or in a mean way, but would you want to party with someone older than your father?"

No I guess not. Leaves more time for study. But in my mind, I am 20 something.