Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Hurricanes

One of my good friends (yea right) send me congratulations on going to school. He also sent me this information:

Great Hurricane of 1780
--This storm was one of several that year, which was one of the worst hurricane seasons in the era prior to record taking. Winds were estimated to be Category Four strength at 135 mph. This storm, which affected the Southern Windward Islands including Barbados, St. Vincent, Grenada, Martinique, St. Eustatius, and near Puerto Rico and Grand Turk Island, is believed to have killed approximately 22,000 people. Of that total, between 4,000 and 5,000 people were killed on St. Eustatius. Martinique had an estimated 9,000 people killed including 1,000 in St. Pierre, which had all of its homes destroyed.

I am thrilled to know that beyond the rigor of studying, I'll have to worry about hurricanes too. Should be a hell of a ride if we do get hit. I've got 2 seasons there.