Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Trek Begins

This site is really about self-discovery and the continuous learning. I am rewarding myself on my 50th birthday by going to medical school in 2008 (probably May). I've been accepted, have resigned from my current work, and am getting the financing together. It is going to happen unless I get a spiritual message directing me otherwise.

My friends and family (some docs) call it "crazy", but in this crazy soap opera that has become my life, filled with unexpected results from perceptively bizarre choices (not only my own), it seem somehow logical at this stage. I've been involved in medicine for nearly 30 years and it is finally time to face my fears and "just do it." I really thrive on the challenge of the mind and the science of medicine has been a part of my life since I was a volunteer EMT in my youth.

Listen, I'm not delusional about this...it is going to be hard as hell and I'm resigned to the fact that I may have to work harder than the young bucks filled with "hunger" and energy drinks. I've done alot of education (almost 300 transcripted college, master, and doctoral credit hours), but this is going to be very different and will culminate in the USMLE process in about 4 years. Grades and test scores will largely determine my residency and practice specialty, but if I end up practicing in the African bush...fine with me. It just feels right and I trust that.
Crazy yes...but somehow actually very right.