Friday, October 19, 2012

Shame! Self-stigmatisation as an obstacle to sick doctors returning to work

I have sick days given to me as part of my physician package of compensation and benefits at work. But I've been warned on a few occasions that using them is tantamount to gross negligence and professional misconduct. Really?

But I see it everyday. Sick, sick clinicians coming to work out of pressure to do so...to man-up (or woman-up) and come no matter what. I'm sure at least one patient has been affected directly or indirectly by a "sick" physician in training.

A small study that looked at doctors returning to work after grappling with physical or mental illness found that those physicians perceived a lack of support from their colleagues in a recent BMJ publication: http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/2/5/e001776 . The study completely confirms my gut feelings that this phenomenon exists and is a real problem in U.S. medical training programs today.

But even those providers that practice evidence based medicine are unlikely to follow evidence based evidence as to themselves. It's one of those paradoxes in the way we practice and teach the practice of medicine to others.

I guess for the moment I'll man-up and despite my fever, sinus infection, recent outbreak of cavitary pneumonia and pustular rash...I'll go back to work in the AM. Wouldn't want to be seen the weakling among my strong, virile colleagues would I? No worries, I'll wash my hands.