Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Bowties, cool?

They say it's cool. But it looks like total goof ball to me. Bowties, white coats and sneakers on doctors. I really don't care how people look for comfort. I'm all for that. But this is a goofy look extraordinaire. It doesn't inspire confidence. It inspires flashback to Pee Wee Herman; And that's not a good flash back for many given his last visit to a X rated movie theater. I suspect it's an outgrowth of the many attendings grounded in some old Southern tradition based on who knows what. But it still look stupid.

But then, it is a wonderful form of infection control. I can't even imagine what would culture out of one of my clinical long ties that's never been washed. Like the stethoscope, the tie is a wholly neglected item physicians wear that is a cesspool carrier of bacteria, viruses and assorted parasites. So the answer? Ban ties completely. No ties in a clinical setting, ever. Not necessary. Frankly dangerous.

Culturing ties....I think I have my research project for residency.