Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Most Important

I pass this guy almost every day. He's the guys who rides the motorized floor sweeper, mopper thing all day long. With the hundreds of feet, maybe miles, of corridor in our hospital, it seems to be the most efficient way to clean it daily. And he does, with great regularity, attention and dedication. Day in, day out.

He is a reminder to me every day that even though the business of the hospital is to treat patients, there are many people here who let us do what we do by what they do. Sure the docs, nurses and people in patient are doing the billable work of the hospital, but without the "Sweeper Dudes" and such, we couldn't do what we do. They really create the environment to do this work. They insure the leaks are patched, the air is conditioned, the walls are painted, the spills are managed, the pumps pump, the dispensers dispense and the floors are clean. And for a hospital this size, it's no small task.

I say hi to the Sweeper dude every day. I never forget that he and his comrades create the space, the environment, the world, for me to do what I do.