Saturday, September 15, 2012

Leadership

My air conditioner broke the other day. Turned it on and it blew nothing but hot air. I'm no air conditioning expert; I'm a user. I didn't know what was wrong or how to fix it. All I knew, it was broke and I could feel the hot air blowing on me. So is my experience with medicine leadership.

Ideally leaders are forced into position. They take on the role of lead reluctantly with little regard for title or power. They live the idea of bottom up leadership and support, like a bottom foundation, by support, gentle correction and stewardship over those above them...under their lead.

Few have that insight. Even fewer can pull it off.
If force is needed to lead others, it's not leading.

And that is perhaps why medicine is in the condition it is. Too many would be leaders who really can't lead. They create small collections of power and force in groups, departments, programs, and such without really contributing anything to the team at large. Too many egos. Too much struggle for power and control over money, patients, resources, time, rooms, computers...you name it. Little effort to truly lead by example and forge new understanding and territory for the greater good, in service.

I'm so dismayed by this business and the people running it. I'm no expert, and not capable myself of doing what I see needs to be done. I don't have the calling, the brains or the power.

But you don't have to be an expert to see this isn't working. It's just blowing hot air.