Thursday, August 16, 2012

Now, let me get this straight!

It spilled from my mouth before I could even stop myself. It was one of those "trigger" after and long day of really sick folks. And I laughed all the way back to the truck.

My boss doc had me go down to interview a patient prior to admission to the hospital. I asked the usual questions about the who, what, where, when and how's of his complaint. I discussed the what were were going to do and the medications he was one, and those we would give him.

And he said, in a thick, Southern front-porch rocker drawl...
"Doctor, ain't there nothing I can take?"

And I heard myself say...
"Now let me git this straight"

And then started singing under my breath...
You put the lime in the coconut and stir them all together,
Put the lime in the coconut and you feel better,
Put the lime in the coconut...